Thursday, October 13, 2011

Beauty Is In The Eye of the Beholder

I was watching 127 days with my hubby yesterday, which is a great movie btw, and there was a scene that brought back so many memories for me. The main character wakes one morning to find sunlight pouring into the canyon in which he's trapped. It looks beautiful! It flooded in like liquid gold; filling the cold dark crevasse with warm hopeful sunlight. After so much despair, it must have been an emotional moment for the character to see something so wonderful. If he stretched his leg out he could get fifteen minutes of sun on his skin.

It reminded my of one of those moments that takes you completely off guard. They sneak up on you when you're busy doing other things, which is why they are so poignant. While waiting in a dark restaurant to order lunch, I noticed a ray of sunlight illuminating the corner of a table not far from me. It's stupid, I know, but it filled me with an absolute joy and peace I rarely feel. Especially in our busy work-a-day lives. My eyes actually got glassy! The restaurant staff must have thought I was crazy. Here was this lady who is at the same time smiling and fighting back tears. Sometimes you just aren't prepared to see something truly beautiful.

I was also reminded of a commercial that seemed to emphasise this point. It was really hard to find and I think that they've changed the music since I first watched it. It is to date one of my favorite commercials.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments? Leave your two cents. We do backflips for comments.