Thursday, January 12, 2012

Getting Back On The Horse

I know in my tag line I mention that I might bemoan not fitting in my old jeans and other diet related complaints.  I haven't done that yet and am feeling like a bit of a hypocrite for not doing so. The fact is, I haven't wanted to get on the weight loss band wagon until I was sure I'd stay on it. I didn't want to start something and not follow through on it. It's something I know I can do if I put my mind to it, but until now I've put it on the back burner. Why? Why not? I'm  not going anywhere. The gym's not going anywhere. So why not wait until I feel up to taking on the challenge?

I thrive on positive feed back. If I don't feel I'm getting anywhere I flag and falter until I stop dead. I don't want to do that, so I decided to wait until I felt I could commit the time and effort to getting in shape again. Let's be clear, it's not really about fitting into my old jeans. That's just a bit of tongue in cheek. What I'm really aiming for is health and over all fitness. That is much more important to me than any number on the scale. I know that I'll never look like I did when I was twenty. Which is just as well because I was underweight anyways. I want to be healthier, happier, and have the energy I need to keep up with my girls.

After my first daughter was born I worked hard to get back into shape before her first birthday. Between taking care of a baby, finishing university, and life in general, there were a lot of starts and stops. Despite all those possible roadblocks and possible excuses, I did manage to meet my goal. In fact because I was actively trying to improve my health and fitness I was in better shape than I was before I got pregnant. Honestly I was in the best shape I had ever been. Maybe not the thinnest or the lightest, but certainly the healthiest and fittest. What I previously had taken for granted in my youth, I had now worked hard to regain. I wasn't skinny, I was strong. Which feels miles better.

Now after my second daughter has been born,  I feel it's time to get back to where I was. I only got to enjoy the "new me" for a couple of months before I was pregnant again. I have lost the baby weight, but I really want that energy that comes from being fit and active again. I like having a goal and trying to reach it. Plus the gym is literally three minutes from my house; I've timed it. I'm actually looking forward to it because I know I can do it. I even wore yoga pants around the house yesterday. Hey, it's a start. Don't judge me. I did do a little Zumba for the Wii, so the pants were warranted.

2 comments:

  1. I totally understand psych-ing your self into this. It is the same way with me. I've not gotten to the exercise part yet but I have gotten to the eating healthy part. Next step is exercise.
    It is not about weight for me either. I figure I will probably live a long time. Everyone in my family has. Might as well make this journey as easy on myself as possible. By taking care of myself I will continue to be able to enjoy my inevitable long life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I figure it's a good time to start. The holiday rush is over and there really t much going on for the rest of the winter. Plus as an added bonus, it might help those mid winter blues! Good luck and...live long and prosper!....sorry, it couldn't be helped!

      Delete

Comments? Leave your two cents. We do backflips for comments.