Wednesday, January 4, 2012

It's Not Just A Blog

There are a number of reasons people start blogging in the first place. Maybe it's a way of keeping in contact with family and friends; possibly growing new ones in the process. For others it's a way of chronicling life's events. Many have a passion for something that they want to share with other like minded people. Still others blog because it encourages them to write for it's own sake. The one thing that all these have in common is building connections.

Whether it is part of your original intent, your writing is out there. You know, out there, in the big wide world to share with who ever stumbles across it. You may not even realize it's happening, but you're building connections, if even briefly, with another person. This isn't a surprise, as such. If you publish a blog you're kind of expecting this. I'm sure you hope that someone has shared a similar musing or agreed with a point you're trying to express. Maybe you're even curious if someone out there has read something and been in dead disagreement with you. Either way, people write, publish, and wait because it's important to them. It's important to me.

I'm making it a habit this month, being the start of NaBoPloMo, to read three to four blogs that I wouldn't have normally read a day. I pick them at random from a list of those participating this month. I've been finding it really interesting to look through these tiny windows of people's much larger lives. Everything has been interesting, enlightening and engaging. I also make it a point to leave a comment before I leave. I'd like them to know that they have made at least one connection that day. Don't be surprised if you're participating this month if you find I've left a comment on your blog too. After all, they are free.

6 comments:

  1. I started blogging because it gave me a chance to reflect on the little things that I take for granted - things that make or break my day. I'm doing the NaBloPoMo: initially it was to gain readers, but I'm already seeing that I have more in common with some of these bloggers than I do with people I know in real life! (Also, great idea about checking out a few each day - I'm going to copy cat you on that!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed reading some of your posts! I started blogging as a release for some of the things I've experienced in life. As you mentioned, I gave made some connections with other bloggers, and look forward to reading their blogs. I am hoping to breathe new life into my blog this year. Although NaBloPoMo brought me to your blog, I am looking forward to reading more of it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Jennifer, it's true, I find that I have something in common with everything I've read so far. Even when the focus is cooking. Something I'm notoriously bad at!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Shannon, thanks! I'm glad that your enjoying reading some of my scribbling and good luck with NaBoPloMo this month!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I started blogging because my three sons were treating me like a retarded housemaid and I wanted to remember that I knew how to do something. And then I ended up hoping other people would read it. I enjoyed reading your posts. Have a great NaBloPoMo! I'll try to keep up with you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I started for similar reasons myself. However somedays I aspire to" retarded housemaid". Usually " I get "Mommy where are you?? COME!"!?I'm the dog. We don't even have a dog! Cheeky monkey!

    ReplyDelete

Comments? Leave your two cents. We do backflips for comments.