Sunday, March 4, 2012

Out With The Old, Ban on the New

I was invited to a cleaning party this weekend. No, it's not a party where we all clean someone's house; though I would like to host one of those if I could get anyone to attend. This was a house party where the hostess had someone come and talk about chemical free cleaning products. She gave a lengthy demonstration, answered many questions, and then later those interested were able to purchase what they were interested in. I've never been to a hostess party like that before. It was over three hours long. I came away with two conclusions. The first, my attention span lasts only about an hour and a half, and that's with really trying. The second, my house is disgusting!

This revelation wasn't brought on because of the demonstration that was presented. That's their job; to create a need and provide a solution for it. It was more from the discussion between those attending. It seems that everyone works very hard to have a spotless, bacteria free, smug free home. They gossiped about the difficulties getting this and that clean. How they toil for hours cleaning in between the grout lines on the kitchen floor. They compared notes about the hardships of soap scum and sticky finger prints on stainless steel appliances. There were things they diligently worked endlessly to keep clean that I've never even touched.

There was a time when I would get down on my hands and knees and clean with a scrub brush. I would scrub the floor clean. Those days have come and gone. Those attending the party, I suspect, are not the norm. That being said, I'm way on the other side of the spectrum. There are piles all over the house of random things. Things that need to be sorted. Things that have been sorted but just need a home. Things I plan to donate to charity, but just haven't found the time to drop them off. Things that need to be organized first before other things can be cleaned and put away. Most of the clutter and mess are various projects that have been started and interrupted. Eventually they are abandoned all together because something more pressing has demanded my attention. This home's biggest enemy is clutter! It's the clutter that prevents any really cleaning from happening. It also stresses me out in a huge way. I'm getting rid of it once and for all and it's not coming back.

If it hasn't moved in months we don't need it. Everything is going in garbage bags. Things that can be tossed out are being heaved out of the house asap. Those that can be donated will be. I'm going to throw all those bags, and there are a lot, in the back of the car and head for the nearest Sally Ann. The biggest thing is the community garage sale usually held in May. We are going to have SO MUCH to sell. It's going to be massive! I'm going to start organizing for it now. I look around now and think "hmmm, I wonder if this is how hoarding looks at the start." Not that we hoard anything, but I know I always think that we or someone else might need it. There's nothing wrong with anything we have, we just have too much, so I can't bring myself to just throw it out. A cluttered home makes for a cluttered mind, at least in my case. If I want any peace of mind at all, I have to empty this house asap! This is Spring Cleaning to the extreme. I wouldn't be surprised if that's already a TLC show.

4 comments:

  1. Great post! I went through our DVDs the other day and got rid of a whole box full. It felt SO good! (I find that things I don't think will sell go pretty quickly on Freecycle. I don't get any money, but my old things go to a new home.) Good luck with your purge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes that's a great idea. I'm sure we have to have something similar here. I'll have to take a look. I'd rather someone have it than toss it in the landfill.

      Delete
  2. It is paper clutter here that is driving me crazy! Homework, or work papers, or a coupon in the mail, and apparently the only place for these things is piled on the computer desk or the dining room table or the piano or the stairs...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's one of our biggest problems! The stairs here are like a staging area. Everything is meant to go upstairs and be put away, but we keep walking past it all. On the bright side, we're making great progress and my three year old is a big help. She LIKES to clean, thank goodness for that, I HATE it!

      Delete

Comments? Leave your two cents. We do backflips for comments.